S3 Ep1 France: Hazelnut Crêpes
Images © Babiche Martens
Makes 10 crêpes • Preparation time 15 minutes • Cooking time 15 minutes
2 tablespoons plain flour
2 tablespoons tapioca flour
2 tablespoons coconut flour
1½ cups low-fat milk
2 cups raw hazelnuts
1 vanilla bean, split and seeds removed, or 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
¼ cup good-quality cocoa powder
½ cup soy milk
2 tablespoons maple syrup
For the batter
1. Sift flours into a medium-sized bowl and make a well in the centre.
2. Place milk and eggs in well and whisk to form a smooth batter.
3. Heat a large crêpe pan over a medium heat. Pour in enough batter to coat the base of the pan. Cook for 1 minute or until golden brown. Turn crêpe to cook the other side. Turn out on to a plate and continue cooking remaining batter.
For the filling
1. Preheat oven to 150ºC.
2. Spread hazelnuts on a baking tray and roast for about 10 minutes. Check and shake tray once or twice during cooking so nuts roast evenly. Remove from oven and place in a coarse textured tea towel or cloth and rub hazelnuts together to remove skins.
3. Place hazelnuts and remaining ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
1. Spread a little hazelnut filling over each crêpe. Fold in half, then in half again.
©Random House NZ and Mike Van de Elzen