S2 Ep6: Brussels slaw and Chow Chow
12 Brussels sprouts, trimmed and finely sliced
3 carrots, peeled and finely sliced
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
4 tablespoons avocado oil
white pepper to taste
1. Mix all slaw ingredients together. Mix all dressing ingredients together. Dress slaw.
Variation: Bean and brussels slaw
Add 18 green beans, blanched and sliced in half lengthways, to slaw.
Makes about 2 cups
500g mixed vegetables, diced: cauliflower florets, deseeded cucumber, celery, carrots, baby onions
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 cups water
⅓ cup honey
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon mustard seeds
½ teaspoon celery seeds
1½ cups cider vinegar
2 tablespoons cornflour
4 tablespoons water
1. Place diced vegetables in a large bowl. Add salt and water. Cover and let stand overnight in the refrigerator.
2. Next day, place vegetables and water in a large saucepan, bring slowly to the boil and simmer for 1 minute. Drain well.
3. In another saucepan combine honey, turmeric, mustard and celery seeds and vinegar.
Slowly bring to the boil, stirring constantly, then simmer for a few minutes.
4. Mix cornflour and water together and add to sauce to thicken.
5. Add sauce to hot vegetables and stir together well.
6. Pour into sterilised jars to store.
Variation: Apple chow chow
Add 1 peeled and diced apple after combining sauce to hot vegetables in step 5. Stir through.