Top Shows

Even My Pets A Porker

Does your pet eat what you eat?


Many for the foods we humans love are poisonous to our pets.

  •  Alcoholic beverages
  •  Apple seeds
  •  Apricot pits
  •  Avocados-toxic to birds, mice, rabbits, horses, cattle, and dairy goats
  •  Cherry pits
  •  Chocolate and lollies containing the sweetener Xylitol)
  •  Coffee - the grounds and beans. That also means chocolate covered coffee beans
  •  Grapes
  •  Hops, used in home beer brewing
  •  Macadamia nuts
  •  Moldy foods
  •  Mushrooms
  •  Mustard seeds
  •  Onions and onion powder
  •  Peach kernels
  •  Potato leaves and stems (green parts)
  •  Raisins
  •  Rhubarb leaves
  •  Salt
  •  Tea (caffeine)
  •  Tomato leaves and stems (green parts)
  •  Walnuts
  •  Yeast dough

Avocados (fruit, pit, and plant) are toxic to dogs. They can cause difficulty breathing; fluid accumulation in the chest, abdomen and heart; or pancreatitis.

Onions destroy red blood cells and can cause anaemia, weakness, and breathing difficulty. Even small amounts over time can cause cumulative damage. This includes onions or chives - raw, powdered, dehydrated, or cooked.

Large amounts of garlic cause the same problems as onions.

Grapes and raisins can be fatal to dogs. They can cause kidney failure in dogs. As little as a single serving of raisins can kill. If a dog doesn't eat enough at one time to be fatal, they can be severely damaged by eating just a few grapes or raisins regularly.

Tomatoes can cause tremors and heart arrhythmias. Tomato plants are the most toxic, but tomatoes themselves are also unsafe. (All parts of the plant except the tomato itself are also poisonous to humans.)

Nutmeg can cause tremors, seizures and death.

Caffeine (from coffee, coffee grounds, tea, or tea bags) stimulates the central nervous and cardiac systems, and can cause vomiting, restlessness, heart palpitations, and even death within hours.

Diet products containing the sweetener Xylitol can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar, resulting in depression, loss of coordination and seizures. Unless treatment is given quickly, the dog could die.

Macadamia nuts can cause weakness, muscle tremor and paralysis. These symptoms are usually temporary.

Walnuts are poisonous to dogs.

Chocolate can cause seizures, coma and death. Baker's chocolate is the most dangerous. The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is. But any chocolate, in large enough amounts, can kill a dog. An ounce of chocolate can poison a 30-pound dog, and many dogs will happily consume more than this. The symptoms may not show up for several hours (and so might make you think all is well), with death following within twenty-four hours. A dog can consume milk chocolate and appear to be fine because it is not as concentrated, but it is still dangerous.

Fruit pits are toxic to dogs Apple seeds, cherry pits, and peach pits, pear pips, plums pits, peaches, and apricot pits contain cyanide, which is poisonous.

Too much salt can cause kidney problems. Also, large breeds of dogs that eat salty food may then drink too much water and develop bloat, which is fatal unless emergency treatment is given very quickly.

Too much fat or fried food can cause pancreatitis.

Ham and bacon contain too much fat and too much salt, and can cause pancreatitis. Also, large breeds of dogs that eat salty food may drink too much water and develop a life-threatening condition called bloat. This is where the stomach fills up with gas and within several hours may twist, causing death.

Raw liver or too much cooked liver (three servings a week) can lead to vitamin A toxicity. This can cause deformed bones, excessive bone growth on the elbows and spine, weight loss, and anorexia. Check the label of your canned dog food to be sure that it does not contain liver if you are giving your dog liver also.

Wild mushrooms can cause abdominal pain, drooling, liver damage, kidney damage, vomiting, diarrhoea, convulsions, coma, or death.

Raw egg whites contain the protein avidin, which can deplete your dog of biotin, one of the B vitamins. Biotin is essential to your dog's growth and coat health. The lack of it can cause hair loss, weakness, growth retardation, or skeleton deformity. Raw egg yolks contain enough biotin to prevent the deficiency, so this is not a problem with raw whole eggs. Raw egg yolks could contain salmonella, so you should get your eggs from a reliable source or cook the eggs.

Grains should not be given in large amounts or make up a large part of a dog's diet, but rice is generally safe in small amounts.

Cooked bones can splinter and tear a dog's internal organs.

Dogs can't digest most vegetables (carrots, green beans, lettuce, potatoes or yams) whole or in large pieces. Potato peels and green potatoes are also dangerous.

Dairy products are high in fat, which can cause pancreatitis, gas and diarrhoea. A small amount of non-fat, plain yogurt is usually safe.

Did you know that a lot of treats we feed to our pets are dangerous to their health?
When we feed our pets treats like chips, cheese and toast or let them lick up the milk and yogurt from our cereal bowls a little goes a long way?

For example feeding a dog that weighs approximate 8-9 kg a chocolate biscuit translates to a human equivalent (an average size adult female) eating a hamburger or 57g of chocolate.

Humans and animals have very different calorie requirements so feeding our pets treats of human food or table scraps is not an option - especially when your pets is overweight .

 


Advertisement

Advertisement