It will be next year before the findings of an investigation into how to turn around job losses in the manufacturing sector will be released.
The Government has said "no" to a select committee inquiry, so Opposition parties have joined forces at a jobs summit to launch their own investigation.
They say there is a crisis in manufacturing with thousands of jobs lost in the past four years.
The Opposition inquiry is outside the usual select committee process and is similar to one held previously on profits made by banks in New Zealand.
It will hear oral submissions in several cities in early December and other parties are welcome to join.
The deadline for submissions is November 30 and the inquiry report is expected to be published early in the new year.
But the Government, which was not invited to the job summit yesterday, insists there is no crisis.
Economic Development Minister Steven Joyce said some manufacturers "are finding it very tough" but others "are growing very significantly".
He said he thinks this will continue "because we're in a very dynamic and changing environment".
In recent months jobs have gone at Solid Energy's Spring Creek and Huntly East mines, Norske Skog's paper mill in Kawerau, the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter, Axiam Metals, Nuplex Industries, Flotech, Summit Wool Spinners, Goulds Fine Foods, Fisher & Paykel Appliances, KiwiRail and the Christchurch Engine Centre.