A fight involving teenagers wielding weapons in Christchurch last night was prompted by Facebook posts calling for retaliation over the assault of a 14-year-old girl, police say.
Neighbours reported between 10 and 15 teenagers fighting with weapons in Papanui Domain at around 6.20pm last night. The teenagers had fled the scene by the time police arrived.
Police later stopped a car with smashed windows where they found a number of items including a steel bar, chain, knives, screwdrivers and a hammer.
The two male occupants of the car, aged 17 and 18, were arrested and given warnings for fighting.
A third man, aged 17, was arrested for possession of an offensive weapon and has been referred to the Community Justice Panel.
Police believe the fight had been prompted by Facebook posts calling for retaliation over the videod assault on a teenage girl on Saturday, however those arrested were not believed to have any connection to the incident.
Senior Sergeant Mike McRandle says police are concerned suggestions of retaliation could easily get out of hand.
"It's especially concerning that people with no connection to the original incident have been prepared to take advantage of this situation to start fights," Mr McRandle said.
"There's a real risk that these situations can escalate, and, with weapons potentially being used, someone may come to serious harm."
Facebook posts had also suggested a fight would occur in the Barrington area, but police say it did not go ahead.
Police speaking to girls over assault
Police investigating the assault of a 14-year old Christchurch girl in Shirley on Saturday are talking to three girls in relation to the attack.
A video posted online yesterday shows the teenage girl being dragged and hit by a group of four other girls.
Earlier today, the teenage victim laid an official complaint with police.
Detective Constable Simon Keith says that after interviewing the victim, police were able to identify the alleged offenders, believed to be four females aged between 12 and 16.
The family of one of the girls contacted police today, and two others have now been contacted by police.
Detective Constable Keith says police were planning to speak to the three girls this afternoon and this evening, and they expect to make contact with the fourth girl tomorrow.
No charges have been laid at this stage. It is likely the alleged offenders will be referred to police youth aid services.
Footage of the attack was uploaded in support of the victim to a Facebook page entitled Only Kiwis Will Get This.
The video has received over 7000 likes and more than 2000 shares in just over 24 hours.
The girl received minor injuries as a result of the incident but did not require hospital treatment.