Christchurch City Council has provided updated information on roads and bridges.
This information was provided at 4am on Friday and ongoing information is provided here .
Roads closed (or parts of)
Banks Avenue from North Parade to River Road
Dunkeld Ln from Glendevere to end
Inverness ln from Glenstra to end
Rifleman Ln from Glenstra to end
ANZAC Drive from Travis Road to Pages Road
Avonside Drive at Stanmore
Avonside Drive at Gloucester
Avonside Drive from Fitz/Kilmore to Linwood Ave
Breezes Rd from Bexley to Cuthberts
Clarendon Tce from Marshall St to Under Brougham St Overbridge
Colombo Street from Armagh Street to Gloucester
Colombo Street from Brougham Street to Moorhouse
Evans Pass/Sumner Rd from Sumner (Town) to Lyttelton (Town)
Ferry Rd from Dyers Rd to Ferrymead bridge
Fitzgerald Ave from Kilmore St to Bealey Ave
Gloucester St at Avonside
Linwood Ave at Brittan St
Mashlands Road from Opposite Northlands to Palms Mall
Montreal Street from Brougham Street to Moorhouse
Moorhouse Ave from Fitzgerald Ave to Ferry Rd
New Brighton Road from Fleet Street to Burwood Road
Pages Rd from Farnborough St to ANZAC Dr
Retreat Rd at Patten
Riccarton Road from Mona vale Ave to Deans Ave
River Road from Medway to Swanns Road
Soleares Rd from McCormacks to No 28
Summitt Road from Sumner (Town) to Gebbies Pass
Trent St at Armagh
Tunnel Road from Ferry Road to Lyttelton (Town)
Wakefield from Nayland St to Stoke St
Whitmore Street from Bealey Ave to Hills Road
Woodham Rd at Patten
Avondale / New Brighton Bridge
Bridge St Bridge
Colombo Overbridge Bridge
Fitzgerald/ Avonside Bridge
Helmores Lane bridge Bridge
Madras Street (Over Avon River) Bridge
Malcolm Ave (at Heathcote) Bridge
Martindales (Railway line) Bridge
McBratneys/locksley(intersection collapsed) Intersection
Moorehouse overbridge Bridge
River Rd Road
Spencerville Road Culvert
Tunnel Road (At Ferry Road) Bridge
The council says a number of major routes are still closed, including:
- Colombo Street between Brougham Street and Moorhouse Avenue
- Moorhouse Avenue eastbound between Fitzgerald Avenue and Ferry Road
- Fitzgerald Avenue is closed near the river between Kilmore Street and Bealey Avenue
The worst liquefaction and silt build-up is east of the city and silt removal has started on selected roads.
- Main Road at Clifton Bay - expect delays while work is carried out
- Wainoni Road is experiencing traffic congestion. It is strongly advised the public source alternative routes so that crews can complete repair work.
- Evans Pass to Lyttelton is closed.
All State Highways are open, with the exception of SH 74, closed from Frosts Road to Lyttelton Harbour
Chaneys Road Northern Motorway on ramp is low open one lane
Pedestrians and cyclists have use of the central portion of Ferrymead Bridge. It is now also open to light vehicles less than 3500kg.
The only access for heavy vehicles into Sumner is via the Port Hills Road and Bridal Path Road.
Thirteen bridges are currently closed, including most bridges across Lower Avon River
- Bridges are closed to Avondale / New Brighton, the Bridge Street bridge and Moorehouse Avenue overbridge
- Bridges have re-opened at Marshlands Road / Lower Styx
- Lyttelton Tunnel has re-opened for local residents and emergency services only.
- Access eastwards of the city is via QEII Drive, Wainoni Road and Pages Road.
Are you in Christchurch? Send us your information and
Leave your messages on the messageboard below.
Quake appeals have been launched - find out more here .
Follow TVNZ's continuous live updates .