The families of men killed in the Pike River Mine want answers from Prime Minister John Key about where he was after the deadly explosion.
A week after the Pike River tragedy on November 19 2010 Key had planned to attend a fundraising auction at private school Scots College in Wellington.
Several hours before the Prime Minister was due to attend, a second explosion ripped through the mine, crushing all hope for the men trapped inside.
Key attended the fundraiser despite the news that all 29 men had been killed.
"That evening had been planned in my diary for quite some time.
"Initially I felt very uneasy about going, but I'd made a commitment to Scots, and so i decided to honour it," said Key.
Now, the families of the miners want answers as to whether it was appropriate for Key to attend the function.
Pike safety manager Neville Rockhouse said he was surprised at Key's attendance.
"I guess you have to weigh up the priorities that he's faced with, but at that time, yeah, I find it quite surprising."
Bernie Monk, whose son was killed in the mine, said he would "love" to discuss the matter with Key.
"We've had a lot of discussions with him one on one, and yes, I would like to talk to him about it."
Other families of the Pike victims hope to speak to Key soon.