A building in the centre of quake-ravaged Christchurch burst into flames this afternoon but was quickly brought under control.
The fire is believed to have been caused by a combination of the power being restored and a gas leak.
The Fire Service is also facing problems with water supply and pressure.
Meanwhile, Christchurch residents are being urged to check their chimneys before they light their fires this evening.
Christchurch fire chief Dan Coward said people should stay away from the centre of town and be aware that there are things they need to do at home.
He said chimneys should be checked thoroughly for obvious cracks or significant damage.
Coward told ONE News people have rallied to help and have been turning up to fire stations with refreshments but they also need to realise that checks need to be made around their homes, including making sure that their smoke alarms are working.
With power coming on and off, Coward said it is vital to ensure electrical plugs haven't been overloaded or damaged in a way that could cause a fire.
He is pleased locals have heeded calls to stay away from town and said the service needs to get staff and equipment through the area freely without being hindered by people.
The Fire Service has dealt with a variety of calls but most involve damage to properties, including industrial sites where stored chemicals have posed a risk.
Engineers have been assessing damaged buildings and prioritising which structures could be further damaged by aftershocks.
He said there is a risk to the public of further falling objects if they venture into the city.
Are you in the Canterbury region? Share your experiences of the earthquake on our messageboard at the end of this article.