Police believe a free-standing stove, found in thousands of New
Zealand homes, is responsible for the death of a Waikato
It is thought the 18-month-old boy had climbed onto the open door of the Fisher and Paykel multi-function stove when it fell.
Emergency services were called to the Te Aroha home, east of Hamilton, just after 7am today. They found the toddler unconscious and not breathing.
Police say while the post mortem examination is still to be carried out, it appears the oven has fallen on top of the boy.
Scene examinations are underway in Te Aroha, and the stove has been taken away for further examination by police.
Police are speaking with the baby's parents, and say they will refer the boy's death to the coroner.