Semi Final 2 - Jac and Shaz: Tea smoked Duck with Fennel Puree and Cranberries
Prep: 40 mins
Cook: 50 mins
- 4 duck breasts, skin scored
- steamed brocollini, to serve
- snow pea tendrils, to garnish
- 300g frozen cranberries
- 110g brown sugar
- 60ml red wine
- 2 tbs sherry vinegar
- 1 tbs finely grated orange zest
- 25g butter
- 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed, chopped
- 100ml chicken stock
- 100ml thickened cream
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup jasmine rice
- ½ cup black tea leaves
- peel of 1 orange
- 4 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken
- To make cranberry sauce, stir all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer until cranberries have broken down and mixture is soft and slightly thickened. Season with black pepper. Blend until smooth. Pass through a sieve.
- To make puree, heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook fennel until tender. Add stock and cream. Simmer, covered, until fennel is very soft. Strain and reserve liquid. Blend fennel until smooth. Add enough of the reserved cooking liquid to form a soft silky puree. Blend again. Add juice. Season. Pass through a fine sieve.
- To smoke duck, line a bamboo steamer with baking paper.
- Season duck all over. Place in a bamboo steamer basket in a single layer. Secure lid.
- Line the base of a large wok (the same size as the bamboo steamer) with foil. Add smoking mixture and place over a high heat until mixture starts to smoke. Place the steamer over the wok, reduce heat to low and smoke for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stand for 5 minutes.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add duck, skin-side down. Cook for about 4-5 minutes or until skin is golden and crisp. Transfer to a warm plate to rest for 5 minutes. Slice.
- Serve duck with puree, broccolini and sauce. Garnish with snow pea tendrils.
- The exact cooking time of the duck will depend on its size and thickness.
- It is essential to rest duck to ensure the juices remain in the meat and you end up with a pink and juicy result.