Jake and Elle: Vietnamese baguettes
Prep time 40 minutes Cook time 10 minutes Serves 4
4 baby cos lettuce leaves
1 Lebanese cucumber, thinly sliced
4 x 15-20cm baguettes
100ml hoisin sauce
Coriander, to garnish
5 tbs white vinegar
5 tbs caster sugar
2 carrots, peeled, julienned
3 red radishes, julienned
1 garlic clove, peeled, crushed
1 bird’s-eye chilli, finely chopped
2 egg yolks
Juice of ½ lemon
1 tsp white vinegar
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
300ml vegetable oil
100ml extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper, to season
250g pork mince
2 bird’s-eye chillies, finely chopped
1 stick lemongrass, bruised, finely chopped
2cm-piece fresh ginger, grated
4 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed
100ml kecap manis
100ml oyster sauce
40ml light soy sauce
- To make pickled vegetables, stir vinegar and sugar in a large bowl until sugar dissolves. Stir in remaining ingredients, then refrigerate until required.
- To make mayonnaise, place egg yolks, lemon juice, vinegar and pepper in a food processor and process until smooth. With the motor still running, slowly drizzle in combined oils and process until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- To make pork patties, place all ingredients in a medium bowl. Using your hands, mix to combine, and then shape into four even-sized patties.
- Preheat a lightly oiled barbecue hotplate, then add patties and cook for 4 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Cut in half to form semi-circles.
- Drain vegetables in a sieve and reserve pickling liquid. Toss lettuce leaves with a little of the reserved liquid.
- To assemble, spread baguettes with mayonnaise. Line with a lettuce leaf and sliced cucumber. Top with patty halves and pickled vegetables. Drizzle with hoisin sauce and garnish with coriander to serve.