Ep7- Roast Duck with Lychee Red Curry and Cauliflower Rice
Team:Alex & Gareth
1 red onion, thinly sliced
400ml can coconut milk
560g can lychees, drained
4 duck breasts
coriander leaves, to garnish
Red Curry Paste
2 tsp white peppercorns
2 tsp coriander seeds
2 tsp cumin seeds
4 long red chillies, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2cm piece galangal, peeled, finely chopped
1 stick lemongrass, bruised, finely chopped
2 tbs coconut oil
2 tbs tamarind puree
1 tbs shrimp paste (belacan)
finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
1 bunch coriander roots, finely chopped
1 tbs coconut oil
1 cauliflower, trimmed, grated
- To make curry paste, dry fry peppercorns and seeds in a small saucepan over low heat until fragrant. Using a mortar and pestle, grind to a fine powder. Add remaining ingredients and grind to form a smooth paste (alternatively use a small processor).
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook paste, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until soft. Stir in red onion and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk. Bring to a boil. Simmer over lowest heat, partially covered, for 30 minutes. Stir in lychees.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- To make cauliflower rice, heat oil in a deep non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add cauliflower and season well. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes until just tender.
- Heat a lightly oiled non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Season duck all over. Cook, skin-side down, until skin is golden and crisp. Turn and cook for a further 30 seconds or until browned. Transfer to the oven. Roast for about 5 minutes or until cooked as desired. Transfer to a warm plate and rest for 5 minutes. Slice.
- Serve duck with curry and cauliflower rice. Garnish with coriander.