Ep5 - Baby Octopus with Spicy Sausage, Potato and Salsa Verde
Team: Anna & Jordan
3 medium potatoes, cut into wedges
3 tbs duck fat
16 baby octopus
100ml white wine
juice of 1 lemon
2 Italian sausages
1 tbs olive oil
100g mixed baby leaves
micro herbs, to serve
700g pork belly, chopped coarsely
500g pork shoulder, chopped coarsely
1½tbs fennel seeds, toasted
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp dried oregano
¼cup chopped parsley
¼cup finely grated parmesan
1-2 tsp chilli flakes
60ml red wine
2m sausage skin casings, rinsed
1 bunch Italian parsley
2 tbs baby capers, drained
3 anchovies 1 tbs white vinegar 1 tbs lemon juice 2 cloves garlic, crushed finely grated zest of½lemon
160ml olive oil
- To make spicy sausage, mince pork belly and shoulder until finely ground.
- Place all remaining ingredients in a processor (except sausage skins) and process until combined. Add to pork and using your hands, mix thoroughly to combine.
- Attach sausage skin to sausage making machine. Pass meat through machine to form sausages. Twist casing to form 12cm long sausages.
- Place sausages on a tray in a single layer. Refrigerate, covered for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Meanwhile, to make salsa verde, process all ingredients until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place potatoes in a saucepan of cold salted water. Bring to the boil. Drain and allow steam to evaporate.
- Place duck fat in an oven tray and place in the oven until melted. Add potatoes and toss to coat. Season.
- Roast, turning half way through, for about 30 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Place octopus in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Stir in wine and juice. Cover and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes or until octopus is tender. Drain.
- Place four of the sausages on an oven tray (reserve remaining sausages for another use). Roast for 10 minutes. Cool slightly. Cut in half lengthways, then into thick slices.
- Cook sausage slices in a lightly oiled frying pan over medium heat until browned all over.
- Toss octopus with oil. Season.
- Heat a chargrill pan (or barbecue) over high heat. Cook octopus, turning, until lightly charred and caramelised.
- Toss baby leaves with a little of the salsa verde.
- Arrange octopus, sausage, potatoes and leaves on serving plates. Garnish with micro herbs and serve with remaining salsa verde.