Ep48 - Crispy Skin Duck with Green Chilli Sambal
Team Name: Tasia & Gracia
200ml can coconut milk
½ bunch Thai basil leaves, chopped
4 duck breasts, skin scored
Micro herbs, to garnish
250ml rice wine vinegar
55g caster sugar
2 Lebanese cucumbers, thickly sliced
SAMBAL HIJAU (green chilli sambal)
2 long green chilies
4 green bird eye chilies
1 eschallot, chopped
1 green capsicum, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tsp grated palm sugar
1 tbs coconut oil
2 green tomatoes, chopped
12 lime leaves (stalks removed), shredded
Juice of 1 lime
URAP (mixed vegetable salad)
8 snake beans, cut into 4cm lengths
2 carrots, peeled and julienned and diced
2 red bird eye chilies, chopped
2 eschallots, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
3cm piece galangal, peeled, chopped
10 kaffir lime leaves
½ tamarind paste
1 tsp salt
2 tsp grated palm sugar
½ tsp shrimp paste
2 ½ tbs coconut oil
250g fresh shredded coconut
½ bunch coriander leaves
1 ½ cups jasmine rice, washed
1 ½ cups cold water
200ml coconut milk
1 stick lemongrass, bruised, halved
2 bay leaves
2 pandan leaves, knotted
- To pickle cucumbers, stir vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and stir in cucumber. Set aside to cool.
- To make the sambal hijau (green chilli sambal), cook chillies and eschallot in a saucepan of boiling water until tender. Drain, trim away stalks and process with capsicum, garlic and sugar until finely chopped.
- Heat coconut oil in a large wok and cook chilli mixture until soft and fragrant. Stir in tomatoes and lime leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until tomato is soft. Stir in juice to taste.
- Remove and set aside half the sambal to serve. Add coconut milk to remaining sambal in the pan, simmer for 5 minutes to infuse and thicken slightly. Stir in Thai basil.
- To make the urap, cook beans in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender. Add carrots for last minute of cooking. Drain and transfer to a bowl of iced water. Drain.
- Process chillies, eschallot, garlic, galangal, lime leaves, tamarind, salt, palm sugar and shrimp paste to form a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a large wok over medium heat. Cook paste until fragrant. Stir in grated coconut and cook, stirring, until all the liquid evaporates. Transfer to a bowl and toss through beans and carrots. Cool completely. Stir through coriander.
- To cook rice, place all ingredients in a saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil, stirring
- Remove from heat and stand covered for 5 minutes. Remove lemongrass, bay and pandan leaves to serve.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Season duck skin with salt. Place in a cold frying pan over medium heat. Cook until skin is golden and crisp. Transfer to the oven for 3-5 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a warm plate, skin side up, to rest for 5 minutes. Slice thickly.
- Serve sliced duck and urap with rice, sauce, pickled cucumbers and sambal.