Ep47 - Sous Vide Chicken with Smoked Potato Puree and Brussel Sprouts
Team Name: Carmine & Lauren
Cook: 2hours 30mins
8 Brussels sprouts, halved
1kg kipfler potatoes, peeled
4 small kipfler potatoes, skin on
50g wood chips
Micro herbs, to garnish
2kg chicken wings
2 onions, chopped
2 sticks celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
4 cloves garlic, bruised
2 tbs olive oil
4 litres water
1 bunch thyme
4 fresh bay leaves
12 whole black peppercorns
125ml white wine
50g cold butter, chopped
SOUS VIDE CHICKEN
4 chicken thigh fillets, skin on
6 garlic cloves, lightly smashed with a knife
12 sprigs sage
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- To make jus, place chicken wings and vegetables in an oven tray. Drizzle with oil
and season. Roast for about 40 minutes or until caramelised. Transfer to a large stock pot and add water, herbs and peppercorns.
- Bring to a boil. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 2 hours or until reduced to 1 litre.
- Strain through a fine sieve or muslin and discard solids.
- Place wine in a saucepan and simmer until reduced by half. Add jus and simmer until reduced to about 500ml.Whisk in butter a cube at a time until jus is smooth and glossy. Season.
- Cook sprouts in saucepan of boiling salted water until tender. Drain and set aside until required.
- To sous vide chicken, season chicken all over and place in a sous vide bag with garlic, sage and butter. Seal bag.
- Preheat a large saucepan of water to 65C. Add chicken and return to temperature. Cook for 1 hour maintaining temperature throughout. Once cooked, remove from bag and pat skin dry. Add cooking juices to jus.
- Meanwhile, place peeled and unpeeled potatoes in a saucepan of cold salted water. Bring to the boil. Gently boil until tender. Drain.
- Arrange peeled potatoes in a single layer in a large bamboo steamer basket.
- Cover the base of a large frying pan with smoking chips and place over high heat. Once smoking, place basket over pan and smoke, reduce heat to low and smoke, covered with a lid for about 10 minutes.
- Heat butter and cream in large saucepan until warm and combined. Remove from heat. Pass potatoes through a ricer into cream mixture. Stir to combine. Beat with a wooden spoon until to form a smooth puree. Season.
- Heat oil in frying pan over medium heat. Slice unpeeled potatoes thickly and cook, turning, until crisp and golden.
- To finish cooking chicken, cook skin side down in a lightly oiled frying pan over high heat until skin is golden and crisp.
- Add sprouts to same frying pan and cook until heated through and lightly browned.
- Serve chicken, potatoes, potato puree and sprouts with jus. Garnish with micro herbs.