Ep47 - Chilli Angel Hair Pasta with Crab and Pippies
Team Name: Anna & Jordan
Cook: 1hour 20mins
12 cherry vine ripened tomatoes
1 tbs olive oil
4 blue swimmer crabs, cleaned, portioned
180ml white wine
Micro herbs, to garnish
Legs from portioned crab
700ml olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 long red chillies, thinly sliced
Finely grated zest and juice of ½ lemon
ANGEL HAIR PASTA
200g 00 flour
1 egg yolk
1 tbs olive oil
1 tsp salt
2 tsp chilli flakes
2 slices sourdough
1 cup flat leaf parsley
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tbs olive oil
- Preheat oven to 100C.
- To make sauce, crack crab claws and place in a small oven dish or bread tin. Pour over oil, pressing legs down to submerge.
- Place in the oven for 1 hour. Remove and strain, reserving oil and crab legs.
- Meanwhile, to make pasta, place all ingredients in a mixer fitted with a beater attachment. Beat
- to combine. Change to a dough hook and mix for about 5 minutes or until dough is smooth
- and elastic.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for 25 minutes to rest.
- Divide pasta dough into quarters. Pass quarters through a pasta machine on the widest
- setting, dusting dough with flour between rolls and rolling until the thinnest setting. Pass through an angel hair cutter. Lightly toss in flour and set aside in a single layer until required.
- Increase oven to 180C.
- To make herb crumb, process sourdough parsley and garlic to form coarse crumbs. Spread onto an oven tray in a thin layer and drizzle with oil. Season. Bake for about 15 minutes or until crisp.
- Place tomatoes in a small oven dish. Drizzle with oil and season. Roast for about 25 minutes or until caramelised.
- Steam crab bodies for 4-5 minutes until meat is just cooked. When cool enough to handle, pick out meat and set aside.
- To cook pippies, place wine in a saucepan over medium heat with lid on. Once wine is steaming, add pippies and cook for 1-2 minutes or until shells open. Remove from heat.
- To finish sauce, place 250ml of the reserved oil from cooking crab legs, in a large saucepan over low heat. Add garlic, chilli, lemon zest. Cook over lowest heat for 10 minutes to infuse. Add lemon juice, a little at a time to balance the flavour. Remove from heat and add pippis and cooking liquor. Stir in crab legs and allow to warm.
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until almost tender. Drain and return to pan. Add enough sauce to lightly coat and toss to combine.
- Serve pasta, sauce and roasted tomatoes topped with breadcrumbs. Garnish with micro herbs.