Ep46 - Crispy Fried Barramundi with Apple, Coriander and Tamarind Dressing
Team: Tasia & Gracia
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
Peanut oil, for deep frying
800g barramundi fillet, skin on, cut into 1.5cm slices
Seasoned cornflour, to dust
Steamed rice, to serve
Coriander and deep fried sliced garlic, to serve
30g palm sugar, grated
1 bunch coriander roots, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 birds eye chilli, chopped
100ml lemon juice
30ml fish sauce
3 tsp tamarind puree
ground white pepper
1 large green apple, cut into julienne
1 tbs lemon juice
½ small red onion, thinly sliced
1 green capsicum, cut into julienne
1 large carrot, cut into julienne
55g caster sugar
1 tbs butter
1 cup cashews, roasted
- To make the tamarind dressing, process sugar, coriander roots, garlic and chilli until finely chopped. Add juice, fish sauce and tamarind puree and process to combine. Season with white pepper.
- To make the salad, combine apple and lemon juice in a bowl. Add remaining ingredients and toss to combine.
- To candy cashews, melt sugar in a frying pan over medium heat. Stir in butter and season with salt. Add nuts and toss until coated and caramelised. Spread out onto a tray lined with baking paper to cool.
- Deep fry garlic slices for a few seconds until pale golden. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Toss fish in seasoned flour. Deep fry in batches until golden, crisp and just cooked through. Drain on absorbent paper. Season.
- Add 3 tablespoons of the dressing to the salad and toss to combine.
- Serve fish, salad and rice with remaining dressing. Garnish with coriander and deep fried garlic.
- Add any of your favourite seasonal Asian vegetables to this salad. Shredded snow peas or Chinese cabbage would work well.
- The dressing should have balanced flavours or sweet, sour and salty – add more or less lime juice or fish sauce to your taste.