Ep46 - Beetroot & Goats' Cheese Ravioli with Sage Butter
Team: Gianni & Zana
Prep: 1hour + Resting
Cook: 1hour 10mins
Grated parmesan and micro herbs, to serve
Finely chopped roasted pistachios, to sprinkle
Deep fried sage leaves, to garnish
1 large beetroot
¼ tsp salt
approx 180g 00 flour
150g goat cheese
150g fresh ricotta
1 egg yolk
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
SAGE BUTTER SAUCE
100g butter, chopped
12 sage leaves
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- To make pasta, wrap beetroot in foil and roast for about 1 1/2 hours or until very tender. When cool enough to handle, peel away skin. Cut half the beetroot into 1cm cubes and set aside for plating.
- Mash remaining beetroot with salt until very smooth. Pass through a fine sieve.
- Place 60ml of the beetroot puree into a processor. Add egg and pulse to combine. Add flour and pulse to form a dough (you may need a little more or less depending on the wetness of the beetroot puree).
- Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic. Cover in plastic wrap and set aside for 30 minutes to rest.
- To make filling, process all ingredients until combined. Season well.
- Divide dough into 5 equal portions and keep covered.
- Using a rolling pin, flatten 1 portion until 5mm thick and about 12cm wide – nearly the width of your pasta machine. Set your pasta machine at its widest setting, then feed the dough through, narrowing the settings on your machine one notch at a time until about 2mm thick. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Make small indentations, 7cm apart and 2cm in from edge, on each dough sheet.
- Place 2 tsp of filling on each mark and then brush lines of water between them.
- Fold over the top half of the dough and, working from the centre of the line outwards, press firmly around each pile of filling with your fingers to push out any trapped air and seal in the filling.
- Cut between rows with a sharp knife or cutter to form ravioli.
- To make sauce, place butter in a medium frying pan over low heat. As soon as it is just melted, stir in sage leave and lemon zest. Cook over lowest heat until pale golden brown.
- Meanwhile, cook ravioli in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to pan with butter sauce. Toss to combine.
- Serve ravioli and sauce sprinkled with nuts and garnished with parmesan and micro herbs and deep fried sage leaves.
- If beetroot is not in season, you could try using beetroot powder, available from select herb suppliers and delicatessens.