Ep38 - Sous Vide Lamb with Crispy Brains and Caramelised Onion Purée
Team: Mitch & Laura
Prep: 1 hour 45 mins
Cook: 1 hour 30 mins
1 bunch rosemary, leaves removed (reserve 2 sprigs for lamb)
10g dried porcini
2 medium potatoes
1 bunch heirloom carrots, peeled, halved lengthways
100g snow pea tendrils
4 large brown onions, thinly sliced
SOUS VIDE LAMB
2 lamb loins with fat cap
2 sprigs rosemary
1 bunch mint, leaves picked
juice of 1 lemon
2 lamb brains, trimmed, cut into 2cm pieces
plain seasoned flour, for dusting
1 egg, lightly beaten
100g panko crumbs
5g dried anchovies, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place rosemary leaves on an oven tray.
- Roast for about 30 minutes or until brown. Cool completely. Place in a spice blender or small processor with the porcini and blend to form a fine powder. Pass through a sieve to remove any larger pieces. Season with salt.
- Place potatoes on an oven tray. Bake for about 40 minutes or until very tender. When cool enough to handle, peel away skin. Mash flesh or pass through a ricer to form a fine puree.
- Meanwhile, to make caramelised onions, heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook onions, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and very soft. Blend to form a coarse puree. Stir into mashed potato until well combined.
- Trim lamb, removing fat cap. Chop fat coarsely and reserve.
- Season lamb and place in a sous vide bag with butter and rosemary. Seal the bag.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to 60C. Add lamb and cook, maintaining temperature, for 20 minutes.
- Remove lamb from sous vide bag and roll in rosemary and porcini powder.
- Heat an oiled frying pan over high heat. Cook lamb, turning, until browned all over. Transfer to a warm plate to rest for 5 minutes.
- To make mint sauce, cook half the reserved lamb fat in a frying pan over medium heat until rendered.
- Blend mint, juice and salt with 2 tablespoons of the liquid fat to form a smooth puree.
- Add carrots to same pan with lamb fat. Cook over medium-low heat, turning, until tender and caramelised. Season.
- Dust lamb brains with seasoned flour. Dip in egg and then combined breadcrumbs and anchovies.
- Deep fry brains until golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Toss snow pea tendrils with a little of the mint sauce.
- Serve lamb, crispy brains and puree with carrots, snow pea tendrils and remaining mint sauce.