Ep38 - Salt Baked Rainbow Trout with Sauce Vierge and Heirloom Tomatoes
Team:Gianni and Zana
Prep:1 hour 45 mins + Freezing
Vegetable oil, for deep frying
100g baby seasonal leaves
fennel and dill sprigs, to garnish
1 tsp salt
2 tbs lemon juice
2 cups each sorrel leaves, parsley, basil
250ml apple cider vinegar
2 tbs caster sugar
1 tsp salt
4 radish, thinly sliced
1 baby fennel (tips reserved for fish and garnish), thinly sliced
12 heirloom tomatoes
500ml olive oil
100ml olive oil
100ml lemon juice
½tsp caster sugar
1 tsp fennel seeds, bruised
1 tsp coriander seeds, bruised
skins from peeled tomatoes
SALT BAKED FISH
4 whole rainbow trout
2 lemons, thinly sliced
1 bunch dill
2 tbs fennel seeds
- To make sorbet, blend all ingredients in a blender until sugar is dissolved and mixture has formed a smooth puree. Churn in an ice cream maker according to manufacturers instructions.
- To make pickle, stir vinegar, sugar and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. Stir in radish and fennel. Set aside to cool completely.
- To make sauce vierge, place all ingredients in a medium saucepan over lowest heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Set aside for 30 minutes to infuse. Strain and discard solids.
- Preheat oven to 75C.
- To confit tomatoes, first peel them. Use a small sharp knife to cut out core at top of tomato, then cut a cross in the base. Place in a bowl of boiling water for 30 seconds until skin starts to split. Drain and place in a bowl of iced water to cool. Drain. Peel (reserve skins for sauce vierge).
- Place in a small baking dish and season. Cover with oil. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Increase oven to 180C.
- To prepare trout, arrange lemon slices, dill and fennel tips in stomach cavity of fish.
- Combine salt and seeds in a large bowl. Add enough water to achieve the texture of coarse wet sand.
- Spread a 1cm layer of the salt mixture over base of a baking dish, just big enough to fit trout in a single layer. Top with remaining salt mixture, pressing down firmly to cover fish.
- Bake trout for 17 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Remove fish from salt crust. Peel away skin on both sides and reserve.
- Deep fry reserved skin until golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Drain pickled fennel and radish and place in a large bowl with seasonal leaves and confit tomatoes. Toss gently to combine. Season.
- Serve trout and crispy skin with salad, sauce vierge and sorbet. Garnish with fennel sprigs and dill.
- You may need to increase the salt mixture in order to cover the fish, depending on the size of your baking dish.
- Baking in salt ensures a juicy tender result and is seals in all the moisture.
- This dish would also worked well with a simple grilled fish fillet.