Ep37 - Salted Caramel Tiramisu
Team: Gianni & Zana
Prep: 1 hour 30 mins
Cook: 1 hour
250ml espresso coffee
60ml hazelnut flavoured liqueur
220g caster sugar
crushed toasted hazelnuts, to decorate
grated dark chocolate, to sprinkle
12 eggs, separated
400 caster white sugar
8 tsp lemon juice
240, plain flour
pinch of salt
icing sugar, to dust
200g caster sugar
125ml thickened cream
100ml espresso coffee
1 tsp salt
500ml espresso coffee
250ml masala wine (2 tbs reserved)
160g caster sugar
5 egg yolks
4 cups mascarpone cheese
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
2. To make savoiardi biscuits, using an electric mixer beat yolks and half the sugar and juice until thick and pale.
3. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. With motor operating, gradually add salt and remaining sugar, beating until thick and glossy. Stir in remaining lemon juice. Add to yolk mixture in two batches, folding gently to combine. Fold in sifted flour.
4. Spoon mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 2cm round nozzle. Pipe 10cm lengths onto tray, 6cm apart. Dust with sifted icing sugar. Set aside for 10 minutes.
5. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden and crisp. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. To make salted caramel, melt the sugar in a saucepan over medium heat until golden brown. Stir in butter until melted and combined. Reduce heat and slowly whisk in cream. Simmer until slightly thickened. Stir in coffee and salt. Remove from heat. Cool completely.
7. To make filling, stir coffee, masala and 2 tablespoons of the sugar in a bowl until sugar dissolves. Set aside to cool.
8. Using electric beaters, beat egg yolks, remaining sugar and the reserved masala in a large heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until pale, thick and tripled in volume.
9. Remove from heat and beat in mascarpone. Stir in salted caramel.
10. To assemble, break biscuits into pieces small enough to fit in pan holes (we used a 12-hole, loose-based, square dessert pan). Dip biscuits in combined coffee and liqueur and place in base of pan holes.
11. Spoon over a layer of the mascarpone filling, top with a second layer of biscuit and a final layer of filling. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
12. To make toffee macadamias, spear nuts with a bamboo skewer. Melt sugar in a saucepan over medium heat until golden. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Dip nuts into toffee, allowing toffee to drip. Rest skewer on a raised rack to allow toffee to dry.
13. Place a line of crushed hazlenuts on serving plate. Top with tiramisu. Sprinkle with chocolate and decorate with a toffee macadamia.
· We made this as individual serves, but you could make it was one large dessert.
· This salted caramel sauce is also delicious served over ice cream, crepes or waffles.