Ep30 - Chocolate Mousse Dome with Cherry Sorbet
Team:Alex & Gareth
Prep:1 hour (+chilling)
200g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), roughly chopped
300g frozen cherries, thawed
125g caster sugar
2 egg whites
2 tbs lemon juice
200g dark chocolate (70% coca solids), roughly chopped
60ml hazelnut-flavoured liqueur
3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
3 egg whites
600ml thickened cream
1 cup crushed roasted hazelnuts
220g (1 cup) caster sugar
- To make cherry sorbet, puree cherries in a blender. Add remaining ingredients and blend until well combined. Pass through a fine sieve and pour into an ice-cream maker. Churn according to manufacturers instructions.
- To create a crisp, glossy chocolate coating, the chocolate must be tempered. To do this, finely chop two-thirds of the chocolate, then chop remaining into 2cm pieces. Place finely chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of gently simmering water (make sure the bowl doesnt touch simmering water) until just melted. Transfer melted chocolate to a second heatproof bowl, then immediately stir in remaining chocolate pieces. If any chocolate pieces remain unmelted, remove them. Place bowl over the pan of simmering water and stir until just liquified.
- Spoon chocolate into six silicone¾-cup capacity dome moulds and spread to coat evenly. Refrigerate until set. Gently ease domes out of moulds.
- To make mousse, fill a small saucepan one-third full with water and bring to a gentle simmer. Place chocolate and liqueur in a small heatproof bowl, place over pan and stir until chocolate has melted (dont let the bowl touch the water). Remove from heat and cool slightly. Whisk in egg yolks.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Refrigerate.
- Beat cream until soft peaks form.
- Add chocolate mixture to cream and mix on low speed to combine. Fold in egg whites. Reserve 2 tablespoons of mousse, then spoon remaining mousse into chocolate domes and refrigerate until set.
- To make praline, line an oven tray with baking paper. Spread nuts on tray in a single layer. Stir sugar and 125ml (½cup) water in a medium heavy-based saucepan, without boiling and using a wet pastry brush to brush down any stray sugar crystals on side of pan, until sugar dissolves. Bring mixture to the boil then boil, without stirring, for 8 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully pour caramel over nuts on prepared tray. Cool until set, then break into pieces. Process until coarsely chopped.
- Brush reserved mousse onto each serving plate. Place a chocolate mousse-filled dome at one end and a spoonful of sorbet at the other. Sprinkle with praline to serve.