Ep25 - Moroccan Lamb Stew with Saffron Rice
Team:Tasia & Gracia
2 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp fennel seeds
2 tbs olive oil
1 brown onion, coarsely chopped
1 red onion, coarsely chopped
1 long red chilli, coarsely chopped
1cm-piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tbs tomato paste
500g fresh tomatoes, diced
2 carrots, coarsely chopped
3 medium potatoes, coarsely chopped
750ml (3 cups) beef stock
1 cinnamon quill
1 pinch of saffron threads, soaked in 2 tbs hot water
Salt and pepper, to season
1 tbs honey
Coriander leaves, pomegranate seeds and 1/3 cup toasted slivered almonds, to serve
2 cups basmati rice, washed
2 tsp salt
2 large pinches of saffron threads, soaked in 2 tbs hot water
25g butter, cut into 1cm cubes
250g (1 cup) Greek-style yoghurt
1 tbs lemon juice
1 Lebanese cucumber, seeded, grated, excess moisture squeezed out
½small red onion, grated, excess moisture squeezed out
½cup finely chopped coriander
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- Dry-fry seeds until fragrant. Cool. Using a mortar and pestle, grind to a powder.
- Toss lamb with half the oil. Preheat a large flameproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Add lamb and cook, in small batches, for 4 minutes or until browned all over. Set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add remaining oil. Add onions, chilli and ginger and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until softened. Stir in garlic, spices and seeds powder. Cook until fragrant. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes. Stir in tomato, carrot, potato, stock, cinnamon, saffron threads and soaking water. Season. Return meat to dish with any juices. Bring to the boil.
- Cover dish and transfer to oven. Cook for 1 hour. Uncover and cook for a further 30 minutes or until sauce is reduced and meat is tender. Remove from oven. Stir in honey.
- To make saffron rice, place rice and salt in a large saucepan and add enough water to come 2.5cm above the rice. Stir in saffron mixture. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cover with lid. Cook for a further 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in butter.
- To make yogurt sauce, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Season.
- Divide rice among serving bowls and top with curry. Spoon a little yoghurt on top. Garnish with coriander, pomegranate and almonds to serve.