Ep24 - Lauren's Famous Mud Cake
Team:Carmine & Lauren
Prep:1 hour 30 mins (+ freezing)
1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
6 egg yolks
150g caster sugar
225g unsalted butter, chopped
220g dark chocolate, chopped
60g espresso coffee
420g caster sugar
125g plain flour
125g self-raising flour
½tsp bicarbonate soda
60g cocoa powder
6 tbs canola oil
450g frozen raspberries, thawed
7 tbs Caster sugar
1 piece thinly peeled lemon zest
1 tbs lemon juice
65g thickened cream
290g caster sugar
65g cocoa powder
50g dark chocolate 70%
10g gelatin sheets, softened in cold water
- To make ice-cream, stir cream, milk, vanilla bean and seeds in a saucepan over medium heat until hot. Remove from heat. Cool slightly. Whisk egg yolks and sugar until pale and creamy. Slowly add hot cream mixture, whisking continuously. Return mixture to saucepan. Stir over a low heat until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Strain. Cool. Refrigerate. Churn in an ice-cream maker according to manufacturers instructions.
- Preheat oven to 150C.
- Grease a deep 22cm round cake pan. Line base and side with baking paper.
- To make cake, stir butter, chocolate, coffee, water and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat until melted and combined.
- Sift combined flours, soda, salt and cocoa into a large bowl. Stir in combined eggs, oil and buttermilk. Stir in chocolate mixture. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake in centre of oven about 1 hour 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Cool cake in pan.
- Meanwhile, to make coulis, stir all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat until sugar has dissolved. Remove zest and blend mixture until smooth. Pass through a fine sieve. Refrigerate.
- To make glaze, stir water, cream, sugar and cocoa in a saucepan over medium heat until temperature reaches 106C on a candy thermometer. Stir in chocolate until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in softened gelatine until melted and combined. Strain into a jug and cool to 30C.
- Place cold cake on a cooling rack over a tray. Pour over glaze, ensuring sides of cake are fully covered. Set aside to set.
- Serve sliced cake with ice cream and coulis.