Ep23 - Orange & Almond Syrup Cake
Team:Rosie & Paige
Crème fraîche or whipped cream, to serve
150g caster sugar
2 large oranges
250g caster sugar
250g almond meal
1tsp baking powder
1 tbs orange flavoured liqueur
215g caster sugar
160ml fresh orange juice
grated zest of 1 orange
- Preheat oven to 170C. Grease a 22cm round spring form cake pan. Line base and side with baking paper.
- To make the cake, place oranges in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Simmer for about 1 hour or until very soft. Drain and cool .
- Process cooled oranges to form a puree.
- Using an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar together until pale and thick. Add pureed oranges, combined almond meal and baking powder and liqueur. Fold to combine. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until skewer comes out clean when inserted into centre.
- Meanwhile, to make syrup stir all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer over lowest heat until thickened to form a syrup.
- Using a skewer, poke holes all over warm cake while still in pan. Pour syrup evenly over cake. Set aside to cool.
- Release side of pan and remove cake. Cut into slices.
- To make candied zest, using a zester, remove the rind from the oranges.
- Stir sugar and water in a small saucepan until sugar dissolves. Add zest and cook for about 20 minutes or until peel is tender and syrup has thickened. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Garnish cake with zest and syrup. Serve with crème fraîche or whipped cream.