Ep10 - Rib Eye Steak with Celeriac Mash and Lapsang Souchong Barbeque Sauce
Team:JP & Nelly
4 x 300g rib eye steaks on the bone
grilled asparagus, to serve
1 tbs Lapsang Souchong tea leaves
1 tbs smoked paprika
2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp garlic powder
1kg celeriac, peeled, coarsely grated
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tbs finely chopped fresh thyme
400g potatoes, halved
2 tsp Lapsang Souchong tea leaves
100ml boiling water
1 small brown onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbs smoked paprika
2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 tbs honey
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbs Dijon mustard
150ml thickened cream
- To make rub, grind tea in a pestle and mortar to form a powder. Place in a large bowl with remaining ingredients. Add beef and turn to coat. Set aside to allow meat to come to room temperature.
- To make mash, place milk, butter, celeriac and thyme in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Bring to a simmer. Simmer, covered, until celeriac is very soft. Cool slightly. Blend mixture in small batches until smooth. Pass through a fine sieve.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a saucepan of cold salted water and bring to the boil. Boil gently until tender. Drain and allow steam to evaporate. Mash until smooth. Season. Add celeriac mixture. Mash to combine.
- To make sauce, combine tea and the water in a cup. Set aside to infuse for 10 minutes.
- Melt butter in a deep frying pan over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic until soft, but not coloured. Stir in paprika. Add strained tea. Whisk in remaining ingredients. Bring to a simmer. Simmer until for 5 minutes. Strain.
- Brush steaks with oil. Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side or until internal temperature has reached 55C (medium rare). Transfer to a warm oven tray and cover with foil to rest for 15 minutes.
- Serve sliced steak with mash, asparagus and sauce.
- We sliced our steak and served it off the bone. You could however leave it on the bone if preferred.
- If you are cooking for more than four people or your steaks are particularly thick, you may wan to sear them and then finish cooking in a moderate oven.