Ep 8 Eva and Debra: Nasi Lemak with Fried Chicken
Prep: 45 mins
Cook: 1 hour
- Halved boiled eggs and sliced cucumber, to serve
Sambal Ikan Bilis (Spicy Anchovies)
- 80ml vegetable oil
- 380g dried anchovies (ikan bilis), rinsed, patted dry
- 1 tbs tamarind pulp
- 80ml water
- 8 small dried red chilies, soaked to soften
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 2 red onions
- 1 tsp belacan (dried shrimp paste)
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- 2 candlenuts, soaked in warm water for 30 minutes
- 1 eschallot, chopped
- 2 tsp belacan (dried shrimp paste)
- 2 small red chillies, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 60ml vegetable oil
- 100g small peeled prawns
- 1kg kangkong (Chinese water spinach), washed, chopped
Fried Chicken Wings
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 1cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 6 large chicken wings
- vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- 600g jasmine rice
- 750ml cold water
- 400ml can coconut cream
- 1 knotted pandan leaf
- To prepare chicken, combine chicken, spices, ginger and garlic in a bowl. Refrigerate until required.
- To make sambal Ikan Bilis, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a wok over medium heat. Cook anchovies until crisp and golden. Remove and drain on absorbent paper.
- Combine tamarind pulp and water in a bowl. Push mixture through a sieve.
- Process chillies, garlic, onions and belacan to form a paste.
- Heat remaining oil in a wok. Fry spice paste until, soft, fragrant and browned. Stir in tamarind mixture and sugar. Stir in fried anchovies. Cook, stirring, until combined. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To make Samabal Kangkong, process nuts, eschallot, belacan, chillies, garlic, salt and sugar to form a paste. Set aside.
- Shallow fry chicken in small batches until golden, crisp and cooked through. Drain on absorbent paper. Season.
- To cook rice, place all ingredients in a large saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Discard pandan leaf.
- To finish cooking kankong, heat oil in a wok over medium heat. Cook paste, stirring, until soft and fragrant. Add prawns. Stir fry for 30 seconds. Add kangkong stalks. Stir fry until tender. Add kankong leaves. Stir fry until wilted.
- Serve rice with sambal ikan bilis, sambal kangkong, fried chicken, eggs and cucumber.
- Marinate the chicken overnight for a more intense flavour.
- If candlenuts are unavailable, you could use macadamias or cashews.
- For extra crunch you could also serve this dish with some roasted peanuts in their skins – another traditional accompaniment.