Ep 7 Uel and Shannelle: S'mores Pie
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- Crème fraîche, to serve
- 250g digestive biscuits
- 100g butter, melted
- 185g butter
- 300g dark chocolate, chopped
- 185g caster sugar
- 25g cocoa powder
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 225g (1 and 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 300g liquid glucose
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 tbs warm water
- pinch of salts
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 170C. Grease a 20cmx30cm slice pan. Line base and two long sides with baking paper, overlapping by 4cm.
- To make crust, process biscuits to form crumbs. Add butter. Process until just combined. Press over base of prepared pan. Refrigerate until required.
- To make brownie layer, stir butter and chocolate in saucepan over low heat until melted and combined. Remove from heat. Stir in sugar. Stir in eggs. Stir in combined sifted flour and cocoa.
- Pour mixture over biscuit crust. Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until just firm to touch. Cool completely in pan.
- To make marshmallow, using an electric mixer, beat corn syrup and egg whites on high speed for about 6 minutes or until thick. Add icing sugar and beat on low speed until combined. Add remaining ingredients. Beat to combine.
- Spread slice with marshmallow. Remove from pan. Using a blow torch, lightly brown top. Cut into serving slices.
- Serves S’mores pie with crème fraîche.
- This dish would be great served with some fresh fruit to balance the sweetness. Berries or sliced orange would work well.
- For a less sweet brownie, try using a really dark chocolate such as 70%.
- You could use any type of plain biscuit for the base – granita or wheaten would be good substitutes.
- Make sure your bowl is scrupulously clean and grease-free when beating egg whites, otherwise they will not thicken.