Ep 48 Bree and Jessica: Open Scallop Lasagne
Prep: 1 hour and resting
Cook: 30 mins
- 12 large scallops, roe removed
- chervil and fennel fronds, to garnish
- 200g 00 flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbs chopped chervil
- 350g fennel, thinly sliced, fronds reserved for garnish
- 300ml thickened cream
Burnt butter sauce
- 125g butter
- 1/4 cup sage leaves
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- To make pasta, sift flour and salt onto a clean work bench. Make a well in the centre. Add eggs and whisk lightly. Gradually incorporate flour into centre.
- Add chervil. Knead dough on a lightly floured bench for about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic (it will lose it's rough, floury texture). Cover with cling film and set aside to rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough in half. Pass each half through a pasta machine on the widest setting, repeating on all of the settings until about 2mm thick. Cut out twelve 8cm rounds.
- To make fennel purée, place fennel and cream in a saucepan over low heat. Season. Simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes or until very soft. Drain and reserve cream. Blend fennel until smooth. Add enough cream to form a soft purée. Strain through a fine sieve. Adjust seasoning.
- To make sauce, melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook for about 3-4 minutes or until it just starts to turn light brown. Add sage and zest and cook until golden brown. Add lemon juice. Strain. Season.
- To cook scallops, heat oil in a frying pan over high heat. Season scallops all over and cook scallops for about 30 seconds on each side or until caramelised and almost cooked through.
- To assemble, arrange purée, pasta rounds and scallops in a bowl. Drizzle with burnt butter sauce. Garnish with chervil and fennel fronds.
- The key to the perfect scallop is a golden, caramelised crust and a soft, slightly translucent centre. Use large, firm scallops and make sure the pan is hot.
- Chervil is a delicate, small-leaved herb with a mild aniseed flavour.
- As scallops are the star of this dish, make sure you choose large, fresh, plump ones.