Ep 46 Chloe and Kelly: Strawberry Champagne Trifle
Prep: 50 mins and setting
Cook: 50 mins
- 80g strawberries, chopped (for coulis)
- 4 large strawberries, sliced (to macerate)
- 2 tbs freeze dried strawberries, crushed
- Double cream, to serve
- 6 sheets gold-strength leaf gelatine
- 325ml Champagne
- 80g caster sugar
- 175g strawberries, thinly sliced
- 500ml warm milk
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 4 eggs, separated
- 150g (1 and 1/4) cups icing sugar
- 125g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tbs water
- 75g self-raising flour
- 80ml Champagne
- 1 and 1/2 tbs icing sugar
- finely grated zest of 1/2 orange
- 80g salted butter
- 40g caster sugar
- 100g plain flour
- 25g rice flour
- To make jelly, line a 20cm x 15cm slice pan with cling film
- Soak gelatine sheets in a bowl of cold water for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Stir Champagne and sugar over a low heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. Squeeze excess water out of gelatine and add to champagne mixture. Stir until dissolved. Pour into prepared pan. Scatter over sliced strawberries. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight until set. Invert onto a chopping board and cut into small thin rectangles.
- Preheat oven to 160C. Grease a 20cm square cake pan. Line base and sides with baking paper.
- To make cake, stir milk and vanilla seeds in a saucepan over low heat until hot. Remove and set aside to cool and infuse.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form and set aside.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar until light and creamy. Slowly pour in butter and water, beating to combine. Slowly pour in cooled milk mixture, beating to combine. Whisk in flour. Fold in egg whites. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake for 40–45 minutes until the top is golden and a skewer comes out clean once inserted. Cool in pan. Once cooled, invert onto a chopping board and cut out 4 circles using a 6cm round cutter.
- To make syrup, stir champagne, sugar and zest in a small saucepan until sugar dissolves. Cool 5 minutes. Strain.
- To make a coulis, place half the syrup into a saucepan and add chopped strawberries. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Blend until smooth. Strain through a fine sieve.
- Pour remaining syrup over sliced strawberries in a single layer. Set aside to macerate.
- To make shortbread crumb, beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and creamy. Stir in flour. Roll between two pieces of baking paper until 2mm thick.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden and crisp. Cool completely. Crush to form coarse crumbs. Stir through freeze dried strawberries until well combined.
- To assemble, sprinkle cake rounds with a little of the crumb mixture and top with a quenelle of cream. Arrange macerated strawberries in small stacks and drizzle with coulis. Serve with jelly and a line of the remaining crumbs
- Freeze dried strawberries are available from delicatessens and specialist grocers.
- You can be inventive in the way you present this dish. Varying the shapes and sizes you cut the cake and jelly into.
- Try replacing strawberries with raspberries in this dessert.