Ep 41 Paul and Blair: Tempura Prawns with Beetroot Puree
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 50 mins
- 12 large prawns, shelled and deveined
- plain flour, for dusting
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 50g feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbs baby basil leaves
- 250g beetroot, peeled, chopped
- 60g butter, chopped
- 50ml water
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 250ml iced water
- 150g plain flour
- To make beetroot purée, place all ingredients in a medium saucepan over low heat. Cook, partially covered and stirring occasionally, for about 40 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly. Process mixture until smooth. Season.
- To make batter, mix ingredients gently in a bowl using chopsticks or a fork. Be careful not to over mix (it should be a little lumpy).
- Dust prawns in flour and then dip in batter.
- Deep fry in small batches for 1-2 minutes at 180C until crisp. Drain on absorbent paper. Season with salt.
- Serve prawns on top of purée. Top with feta and basil.
- Tempura batter will not go dark golden brown like other batters. If you wait for it to do this, you will overcook the prawns.
- This dish would be great with the addition of some finely shredded candied lemon zest
- If preferred, you could roast the beetroot mixture in a foil parcel for about 30 minutes at 180C.