Ep 40 Thalia and Bianca: Skate Wings with Pea Puree and Bubble and Squeak
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 50 mins
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 skate wings, skin removed, halved
- Plain flour, to dust
- 40g butter
- Parsley leaves, to serve
- 500ml (2 cups) vegetable stock
- 500g frozen peas
- 25g butter, softened
- Salt and pepper, to season
Bubble & squeak
- 500g desiree potatoes
- 50g butter
- 200g pancetta, finely chopped
- 200g brussels sprouts, finely chopped
- 1/2 leek, trimmed, finely chopped
- 100g panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbs olive oil
Lemon butter sauce
- 60g butter
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 150g (1 cup) plain flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 50g butter, melted
- 250ml (1 cup) soda water
- 1 large onion, cut into thick rings
- Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- To make pea purée, bring stock to the boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add peas and boil for 4 minutes or until tender. Drain peas, reserving stock. Process peas with butter and enough stock to form a smooth purée.
- To make bubble & squeak, place potatoes in a medium saucepan of cold salted water. Bring to the boil and cook for 25 minutes or until tender. Drain and allow steam to evaporate. Cool slightly, then peel and discard skins. Mash, the set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Add pancetta, sprouts and leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until tender. Add mixture to potato, then mix to combine. Season, then set aside to cool slightly.
- Shape potato mixture into 8 patties and roll in breadcrumbs. Heat oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add bubble & squeak and cook for 2 minutes on each side or until crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- To make the sauce, melt butter in a small saucepan. Add thyme and lemon juice, then simmer for 3 minutes. Season, then strain mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl.
- To make onion rings, sift flour and salt into a bowl. Stir in egg and butter. Stir in soda until smooth and combined.
- Fill a deep-fryer or large saucepan one-third full with vegetable oil and heat over medium heat to 180C (or until a cube of bread turns golden in 10 seconds). Working in batches, dip onions into batter, allow excess batter to drain off, then gently drop into oil and fry, turning halfway, for 2 minutes or until crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Dust with seasoned flour.
- Melt butter in a large frying pan. Add skate and cook for 4 minutes each side or until golden crisp, golden and cooked through.
- Divide pea purée among serving plates and top with bubble & squeak. Add skate on top and finish with onion rings and parsley to serve.