Ep 36 Rose and Josh: Beef & Chorizo Empanadas with Salsa Brava
Prep: 40 mins (+30 mins resting)
Cook: 30 mins
- Vegetable oil, to shallow-fry
- 250g lard, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1kg self-raising flour, plus extra, to dust
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red capsicum, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed 1 chorizo, skinned, finely diced
- 400g beef mince
- 60ml (¼ cup) tomato paste
- 1 tbs dried oregano
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green capsicum, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- To make pastry, stir lard, salt and 300ml hot water in a bowl until combined. Set aside to cool to room temperature. Stir in flour until a dough forms. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and lightly knead. Cover in plastic wrap and set aside for 30 minutes to rest.
- Meanwhile, to make filling, heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, capsicum and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Remove and set aside.
- Add chorizo to same pan. Cook, stirring, for 6 minutes or until crisp and lightly browned. Add mince and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until browned. Return onion mixture to pan. Stir in tomato paste, oregano and paprika and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until combined. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool completely. Stir in egg.
- To make salsa brava, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, capsicum, garlic and chilli and cook, stirring, for 6 minutes or until softened. Stir in paprika. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt and pepper, then process in a food processor until smooth.
- Line an oven tray with baking paper. Roll out half the pastry on a lightly floured work surface until about 3mm thick. Cut out six 12cm rounds. Brush edges with water.
- Spoon filling onto one round and fold to enclose. Crimp edges to seal. Place on prepared tray. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Fill a frying pan with oil until a depth of 2cm. Add empanadas, in batches, and shallow fry for 2-3 minutes or until crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- Divide empanadas among serving plates and serve with salsa brava to the side.