Ep 36 Drasko and Bianca: Rock Lobster With Confit Chicken Wings And Yellow Curry Sauce
- Prep: 25 mins
- Cook: 1 hour 10 mins
- Serves: 4
- 2 green rock lobsters
- 50g butter, melted
- micro herbs, to garnish leaves
Confit Chicken Wings
- 4 chicken wings, drum and wing tip removed
- 1 tbs salt
- 600ml duck fat
- 60ml vegetable oil
- 4 eschallots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 5 birds eye chillies, chopped
- 1 bunch coriander roots, chopped
- 1cm piece fresh turmeric, chopped
- 1cm piece galangal, chopped
- 3 tsp yellow curry powder
- 1 tbs dried shrimp paste (Belacan)
- finely grated zest of 1 lime
- 2 tsp coriander seeds, toasted
- 2 tsp cumin seeds, toasted
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 5 tbs curry paste (see above)
- 600ml coconut milk
- 100ml fish sauce
- 1 tbs white sugar
- 60ml olive oil
Samphire and Spinach (optional)
- 200g baby spinach leaves
- 200g samphire
- Preheat oven to 140C.
- To confit chicken wings, preheat oven to 140C. Toss chicken with salt and place in a small baking dish. Melt duck fat in a small saucepan over a low heat and pour over chicken.
- Bake for 1 hour or until chicken is very tender. Remove from oven and cool in fat.
- To make curry paste, process all ingredients to form a coarse paste.
- To make curry sauce, heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and curry paste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Stir in coconut millk. Bring to a boil. Simmer, stirring continuously, for 3 minutes. Increase heat to high. Add fish sauce and sugar. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slighlty. Transfer to a blender. Blend until smooth. Strain through a fine sieve.
- To cook lobsters, bring a large saucepan of water to a rapid boil and add ½ cup (150g) of salt for each 2.5 litres of water. Add lobsters and cook for 3 minutes. Remove and once cool enough to handle, twist off heads. Cut tails in half lengthways and remove tail meat. Crack claws and remove meat.
- Place tail meat and claw meat in separate sous vide bags. Add butter. Season with salt. Seal bag.
- To finish cooking chicken, heat a frying pan over medium heat. Remove chicken wings with tongs and place in pan. Cook, turning, until golden and crisp, drizzling with lemon juice.
- To finish cooking lobster, bring a saucepan of water to 59C. Cook tails and claws for 6 and 2 minutes respectively. Remove from water and stand for 5 minutes. Remove from bag and slice thickly.
- Cook spinach and samphire in a saucepan of boiling salted water for 10 seconds. Drain. Place on absorbent paper. Season.
- Serve lobster and chicken wings with spinach, samphire and sauce. Garnish with micro herbs.
- The easiest and most humane method of killing any crustacean is to chill it in the freezer for about 30 minutes until it becomes insensible (but not long enough to freeze it). Once chilled, it should be killed promptly by splitting in half or dropping into rapidly boiling water. S
- Make a double amount of this curry sauce and freeze half for another time.
- Samphire is sometimes know as ‘sea asparagus’ and is a native succulent.