Ep 34 Carol and Adam: Crisp Apple Cigars with Cinnamon Ice-Cream
Prep: 1 hour (+4 hours freezing)
Cook: 1 hour
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 8 sheets frozen filo pastry
- Icing sugar and sliced green apple, to serve
Cinammon Ice Cream
- 300ml pouring cream
- 300ml thickened cream
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 6 egg yolks
- 125g caster sugar
- 25g unsalted butter
- 25g caster sugar
- 4 granny smith apples, peeled, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 80g fresh ricotta
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- To make cinnamon ice-cream, place creams, cinnamon and vanilla in a saucepan and bring almost to the boil. Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until well combined, then whisking continuously, gradually add hot milk mixture to yolk mixture and whisk gently to combine. Transfer to a clean saucepan over medium heat and stir continuously with a wooden spoon until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon; don’t boil mixture. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl. Place in a sink one-third full with iced water and cool, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 45 minutes. Churn in an ice-cream maker until frozen. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for 4 hours or until very firm.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- To make filling, melt butter and sugar in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add apples and cook, stirring, until lightly browned and caramelised. Stir in cinnamon. Transfer to a bowl to cool. Stir in ricotta and syrup.
- Place butter, syrup and cinnamon in a saucepan over low heat and stir until combined.
- Brush one sheet of pastry with butter mixture. Top with a second sheet and brush again. Cut in half and stack on top of each other. Spoon a quarter of the filling down the centre. Fold in ends and roll to enclose. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling to make four cigars.
- Arrange cigars on prepared tray and brush with remaining butter mixture. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until pastry is crisp and golden. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool.
- Divide cigars among serving plates and dust with icing sugar. Serve with ice-cream and sliced apple.