Ep 33 Jac and Shaz: Wasabi Chicken with Asian Slaw
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 5 mins
- 1 egg
- 1½ tbs wasabi paste
- 1 tbs milk
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup finely crushed wasabi peas
- 75g (½ cup) plain flour
- Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- 3 chicken thigh fillets, cut into 2cm-wide strips
- Lime wedges, to serve
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp mirin
Ginger & Lime Mayo
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 lime, juiced
- ½ tbs white wine vinegar
- 250ml (1 cup) grapeseed oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 5mm-piece ginger, finely grated
- 2 tsp finely grated lime zest
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ cup shredded red cabbage
- ½ cup shredded wombok
- 1 carrot, cut into julienne
- 1 green onion, cut into julienne
- 1 radish, cut into julienne
- 4 snow peas, cut into julienne
- ¼ cup coriander leaves
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- ¼ cup crushed roasted peanuts
- To make dressing, whisk all ingredients in a bowl until combined.
- To make ginger & lime mayo, process egg yolk, lime juice and vinegar in food processor until well combined. With the motor running, gradually add oil, drop by drop at first, then in a thin, steady stream until thick and emulsified. Stir in remaining ingredients, then season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until needed.
- To make Asian slaw, combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Whisk egg, wasabi paste and milk until combined.
- Combine breadcrumbs and wasabi peas in a shallow bowl. Place flour on a plate and season with salt and pepper.
- Fill a deep-fryer or large saucepan one-third full with vegetable oil and heat over medium heat to 180C (or until a cube of bread turns golden in 10 seconds). Working in batches, pat chicken into flour, then dip into egg, allow excess batter to drain off, then cover in breadcrumbs. Gently drop into oil and fry, turning halfway, for 4 minutes or until crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- Add dressing to slaw and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide Asian slaw among serving plates and top with chicken. Serve with mayo and lime wedges to the side.