Ep 3 Paul and Blair: Rum Chocolate Pots with Salted Caramel Toffee
Prep: 25 mins (+2 hours chilling)
Cook: 10 mins
- 250g dark chocolate, chopped
- 200ml thickened cream
- 2 tbs caster sugar
- 20g salted butter
- 1 tbs rum
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- Whipped cream, grated chocolate and edible flowers, to serve
Salted caramel toffee
- 220g (1 cup) caster sugar
- 125ml (½ cup) water
- 2 tsp sea-salt flakes
- Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl.
- Stir cream and sugar in a small saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves and mixture is hot. Remove from heat and pour mixture over chocolate. Add butter, then stand for 2 minutes. Stir until smooth and combined, then stir in rum. Cool for 5 minutes, then stir in egg yolks.
- Divide mixture among 6 serving glasses and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- To make salted caramel toffee, line an oven tray with baking paper. Stir sugar and water in a medium saucepan over medium heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves, using a wet pastry brush to brush any stray grains on side of pan back down into mixture. Bring to a boil, then boil, uncovered and without stirring, for 8-10 minutes or until mixture begins to turn golden brown.
- Pour onto prepared tray. Sprinkle over salt. Allow to cool and set, then break into shards.
- Top chocolate pots with whipped cream and toffee shards. Decorate with grated chocolate and edible flowers to serve.
- We used Bundaberg rum in our chocolate pots.
- For a lighter texture, try folding in 1 cup of whipped cream into chocolate mixture at the end of step 2.
- These chocolate pots would also be great served with a tuile, wafer or biscotti to add another element of texture.
- An alternative way to make the toffee is to sprinkle sugar onto an oven tray lined with baking paper and grill until melted and brown. You need to watch it the entire time as it can burn very quickly.