Ep 27 Kat and Andre: Pork and Mushroom Cabbage Rolls
- Prep: 1 hours
- Cook: 1 hour
- Serves: 12
- Finely chopped parsley and chilli powder, to garnish
- 12 cabbage leaves
- 55g white rice
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 100g bacon, finely chopped
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 100g mixed mushrooms, finely chopped
- 300g pork mince
- ½ cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 egg
- 25g butter, cut into small dice
- 500ml chicken stock
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 15g butter
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200g mixed mushrooms, chopped (we used a combo of Portabello, brown & oyster)
- 125ml dry white wine
- 300ml thickened cream
- 2 tbs finely chopped parsley
- 1 tbs thyme leaves
Chilli Mushroom Garnish
- 200g enoki or shimeji mushrooms, separated
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
- 25g butter
- To prepare cabbage rolls, cook cabbage leaves and rice in separate saucepans of boiling salted water until just tender. Drain. Cool.
- Heat oil in frying pan over medium heat. Cook bacon until browned and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and place in a large bowl. Add onion to same pan. Cook until soft. Stir in garlic and mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are very soft, mixture is condensed and all water has been absorbed. Season.
- Add mushroom mixture to bacon along with cooked rice, pork mince, parsley and egg. Using your hands, mix well to combine. Season well.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Trim stems of cabbage leaves to make them easier to roll.
- Place cabbage leaves on a work surface. Divide filling among leaves at stem end, fold in sides and roll to enclose.
- Place cabbage rolls, seam-side down in an ovenproof dish just big enough to fit rolls snugly in a single layer. Dot with butter and pour over stock. Cover with foil and transfer to the oven.
- Cook for about 35 minutes or until rolls are cooked through and stock has been absorbed.
- Meanwhile, to make sauce, heat oil and butter in a deep frying pan over medium heat. Cook garlic and mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are very soft, mixture is condensed and all liquid has been absorbed. Season. Add wine. Simmer until evaporated. Stir in cream and herbs. Simmer until slightly thickened. Season.
- To prepare garnish, toss mushrooms with chilli powder.
- Melt butter in a frying pan and cook mushrooms until golden brown.
- Sprinkle cabbage rolls with fried mushrooms. Garnish with parsley and chilli powder. Serve with sauce.
- We used different colour cabbage leaves (green and purple) to brighten the dish and give some contrast.
- Try using chicken or turkey mince for a change.
- Use any leftover cabbage rolls to put in a lunchbox.