Ep 27 Jane and Emma: Layered Hazelnut Cake with Frangelico Cream
Prep: 1 hour 30 mins
Cook: 40 mins
- 60ml Frangelico, for brushing
- Fresh raspberries and toasted crushed hazelnuts, to decorate
- 150g butter, at room temperature
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 150g plain flour
- 55g hazelnut meal
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 3 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbs milk
- 50g roasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 125g thickened cream
- 70g cold mascarpone, lightly whisked with a fork until soft and smooth
- 2 tbs Frangelico
- 300g dark chocolate, chopped
- 150g thickened cream
- 100g roasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 220g caster sugar
- 125ml water
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease 6 holes of a square mini cake or muffin pan. Line bases with baking paper.
- To make cakes, beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating between additions.
- Reduce speed and add combined flour, almond meal, baking powder and cocoa. Stir in nuts.
- Divide mixture among prepared pan holes.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until firm to touch and a skewer comes out clean when inserted into centre.
- To make Frangelico cream, beat all ingredients with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Refrigerate until required.
- To make ganache, place chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Heat cream in a saucepan until hot. Pour over chocolate. Stand 1 minute. Stir until smooth and combined. Cool until thickened and spreadable.
- To make praline, line an oven tray with baking paper. Spread nuts on tray in a single layer. Stir sugar and water in a medium heavy-based saucepan, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Use a wet pastry brush to brush down any stray sugar crystals on side of pan. Bring mixture to a boil. Boil, without stirring, until golden brown. Carefully pour caramel over nuts on prepared tray. Cool until set. Break into pieces. Process until coarsely chopped.
- To assemble, split cold cakes in half. Brush cut sides with liqueur. Spread cake tops with ganache. Sandwich cake halves with Frangelico cream. Decorate with praline, hazelnuts and raspberries.
- Frangelico is a hazelnut flavoured liqueur.
- We made these little cakes in a square cake pan, but you could make any shape you like. Try making smaller ones and serving as dessert canapés.
- All elements can be made in advance and the cakes assembled to serve.