Ep 26 Carly and Tresne: Strawberry Shortcake Stack
Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 125g butter, at room temperature
- 55g (1/4 cup) caster sugar, plus extra 1 tbs
- 200g (1 and 1/3 cup) plain flour
- 250ml (1 cup) sparkling wine
- 8 large strawberries, washed, dried, hulled, cut into 5mm slices
- 250ml thickened cream
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 1 tbs icing sugar
- Toasted chopped pistachios and Persian fairy floss, to serve
- Poached strawberries
- Preheat oven to 160C and line an oven tray with baking paper.
- To make shortcake, using an electric mixer, beat butter and caster sugar (on medium speed) until light and creamy. Add flour and beat until well combined.
- Roll out dough between two sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. Refrigerate for 15 minutes or until firm.
- Using a 7cm heart-shaped cutter, cut out 8 shapes from dough and place on prepared tray. Bake for 15 minutes or until light golden. Cool on trays.
- Bring wine and extra caster sugar to a simmer in a small saucepan. Pour over sliced strawberries in a bowl. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until cold. Strain and return sparkling wine to a small saucepan. Simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened. Cool.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cream, vanilla seeds and icing sugar (on high speed) until firm peaks form.
- Brush syrup onto serving plates. Place 1 piece of shortbread on top, then a little cream, 2 strawberry slices, some more cream and finish with another piece of shortbread. Decorate with pistachios and fairy floss to serve.
- This would also make a great afternoon tea treat.
- For a larger dessert, double the recipe and serve a triple-layered shortcake.
- If you want to make it child-friendly, replace the sparkling wine with cranberry, orange or apple juice.
- We used a heart-shaped cutter to make our shortcakes, but you could use any shape you like.