Ep 23 Eva and Debra: Prawn Cakes with Peanut & Lime Dipping Sauce
Prep: 40 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 250g white fish fillets, roughly chopped
- 500g green prawns, peeled, deveined, roughly chopped
- 2 tbs fish sauce
- 1 tsp rice flour
- 1 egg
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, spine removed, roughly chopped
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
Red Curry Paste
- 2 tsp coriander seeds, roasted
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, roasted
- 2 tsp white peppercorns
- ½ tsp ground mace
- 15 dried red chillies, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes, deseeded, roughly chopped
- 2 eschalots, roughly chopped
- 12 garlic gloves
- 2 lemongrass stalks, white part only, thinly sliced
- 1cm-piece galangal, chopped
- 4 coriander roots, chopped
- 1 tbs finely grated lime zest
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp shrimp paste, roasted
Peanut & Lime Dipping Sauce
- 110g (½ cup) caster sugar
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 tbs fish sauce
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
- ½ Lebanese cucumber, deseeded, finely diced
- 2 tbs finely chopped roasted peanuts
- To make curry paste, Using a mortar and pestle, grind coriander, cumin and peppercorns to a paste. Place in a small food processor with remaining ingredients and process until a smooth paste forms. Set aside.
- Place fish, prawns, reserved curry paste, fish sauce, flour and egg in a food processor. Process to combine, then transfer mixture to a bowl. Using a large metal spoon, mix in onion and lime leaves.
- Using wet hands, divide mixture into 12 equal portions, then shape each into 1cm-thick patties.
- Heat oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Cook patties, in batches, for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- To make dipping sauce, stir sugar and 60ml (¼ cup) water in a small saucepan for 1-2 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Cool, then stir in remaining ingredients.
- Serve prawn cakes with dipping sauce to the side.