Ep 18 Katie and Nikki: Croatian Hot Pot with Homemade Sausage
Prep: 1 hour
Cook: 45 mins
- 250g punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 chargrilled capsicum quarters
- 4 slices prosciutto
- Parsley, to garnish
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 x 400g cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 200g pork mince
- 200g veal mince
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 small egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp rice flour
- To make sauce, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion, garlic and chilli until soft. Stir in paprika. Stir in tomatoes and sugar. Season. Simmer until thickened and reduced. Cool slightly. Blend until smooth.
- To make sausages, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Shape into eight sausages. Place on a tray. Refrigerate, covered, until required.
- Heat a lightly oiled frying pan over medium heat. Cook sausages until browned all over and cooked through.
- To serve, divide sauce among serving bowls. Top with cherry tomatoes, capsicum, prosciutto and sausages. Garnish with parsley.
- We only served one sausage (chevapi) per person on the show, but have increased the recipe here to allow for two.
- To make your own chargrilled capsicum strips, place whole capsicums on an open flame and cook, turning, until skin is charred and blistered. Transfer to oven tray and cook at 200° for about 5 minutes or until very tender. Place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Stand for 10 minutes. Peel and discard skin and seeds. Cut flesh into strips.
- For a chunkier sauce, leave unblended.