Ep 16 Harry and Christo: Calamari Sautéed in Capsicum & Garlic Infused Olive Oil with Seasonal Leaves
- 1 small capsicum, cut into 1cm dice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
Capsicum & Garlic Infused Oil
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 60ml (1/2 cup) olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 thyme sprig
- 600g calamari rings
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tbs olive oil
- juice of half a lemon
- 120g baby rocket
- To make infused oil, place all ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat. Season. Cook over lowest heat possible, without boiling for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stand 1 hour to allow flavours to infuse. Strain.
- Place calamari and 1 tablespoon of the infused oil in a bowl. Add cayenne. Season well with salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of remaining infused oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook capsicum until almost tender. Stir in garlic. Cook for 1 minute. Remove with a slotted spoon and place in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Increase heat to high. Add calamari in small batches. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until just cooked through. Add to bowl with capsicum mixture. Toss to combine.
- To make salad, whisk oil and lemon in a bowl. Season. Add rocket. Toss to combine.
- Server salad topped with calamari.
- This dish would also be good with some roasted cherry tomatoes and a handful of fresh herbs, such as parsley, mint or chives.
- Store any remaining infused oil in an airtight bottle in the fridge for up to a week.
- These calamari would be great cooked on the barbecue flatplate.
- We used rocket in our salad, but you could use any type of seasonal leaf.