Ep 15 Josh and Danielle: Banana parfait with Maple Syrup Bacon
Prep: 35 mins
Cook: 15 mins (+ 1 hour cooling and 4 hours freezing)
- 100g hazelnuts, roasted, chopped
- 2 tbs caster sugar, plus extra 120g
- 25g butter
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 2 large ripe bananas, thinly sliced
- 2 tbs golden rum
- 3 egg whites
- 300ml thickened cream
- 2 streaky bacon rashers
- 1 tbs maple syrup
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper. Place hazelnuts and caster sugar in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 4 minutes or until sugar melts and nuts caramelise. Spread nuts onto a baking paper-lined oven tray. Set aside for 1 hour to cool completely. Process in a food processor until fine crumbs form.
- Melt butter in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add brown sugar and stir until melted. Add bananas and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in rum, then cook for a further 2 minutes. Process banana mixture in a food processor until a purée forms. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl, pushing mixture through with the back of a spoon.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk egg whites to stiff peaks, then gradually add extra caster sugar and whisk until thick and glossy.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cream until soft peaks form. Fold cream into meringue in two batches. Fold in praline and banana mixture. Pour into prepared tin and freeze for 4 hours or overnight.
- Grill bacon for 3 minutes on one side, then turn, drizzle with syrup and grill for a further 1 minute or until crisp. Cool, then coarsely chop.
- Serve slices of parfait with maple syrup bacon.
- Try making this parfait in small silicone moulds for individual serves.
- This dish would be great served with some fresh banana and a sprig of mint for colour.
- For a tropical version of this parfait, omit bacon and replace hazelnuts with macadamias. Serve with fresh pineapple.