Ep 10 Harry and Christo: Prosciutto & Smoked Mozzarella Rolled Veal with Potato Croquettes
- 4 lemons, halved
- Steamed green beans, to serve
- 60g smoked mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 6 slices prosciutto
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 800g potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 40g butter, chopped
- 60g finely grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup plain flour for dusting
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup fresh or dried breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- To prepare veal, gently pound butterflied veal until evenly thick, about 2.5cm. Arrange mozzarella in a line, lengthways, down centre. Season. Roll lengthways and secure with kitchen string at regular intervals. Set aside for veal to come to room temperature
- To make croquettes, place potatoes in a saucepan of cold salted water. Bring to a boil. Boil gently until tender. Drain. Allow steam to evaporate. Mash or put through a ricer. Add butter, parmesan and parsley. Season well. Mash to combine. Shape mixture into 12 croquettes and place in the fridge for 20 minutes to firm up.
- Roll croquettes in flour. Dip in egg and roll in breadcrumbs. Refrigerate until required.
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Season veal all over. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Cook rolled veal, until browned all over. Transfer to an oven tray. Roast for 12-14 minutes. Remove from oven and rest for 5 minutes. Slice thickly.
- Deep fry croquettes until golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Cook lemon halves, cut-side down, on a lightly oiled chargrill plate until browned.
- Serve sliced veal with croquettes, beans and lemon halves.
- This dish would be great with a quick sage and lemon butter sauce. Add 150g butter to same frying pan that veal was cooked in. Once melted, add 2 tbs chopped sage leaves and the juice of 1 lemon. Simmer for 2 minutes. Strain and season.
- Croquettes can be prepared to the end of step 3 several hours in advance. Store, covered, in the refrigerator.
- Veal schnitzel and leg steaks could also be used in this recipe. You’ll need to adjust the cooking time to suit the thickness of the veal.