Ep 1 Jac and Shaz: Pear & Walnut Crumble with Pear Wafers
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 1 hour
- Crème fraîche, to serve
- 110g caster sugar
- 2 pears, thinly sliced
- 6 firm ripe pears, peeled, cored, cut into thin wedges
- 2 tbs port
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 55g brown sugar
- 120g cold butter, chopped
- 200g plain flour
- 80g caster sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 100g mild blue cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 160C. Line an oven tray with baking paper or a silicone mat.
- To make pear wafers, place sugar on a plate. Press both sides of pear slices into sugar to coat. Arrange in a single layer on prepared tray.
- Bake for about 15 minutes. Turn and cook for a further 15 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, to make pear filling, place pears in a bowl.
- Stir port, juice and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer until mixture thickens. Pour over pears and toss to combine. Divide among 6 individual ovenproof dishes.
- Increase oven to 200C.
- To make crumble, Process butter and flour until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add sugar, salt and nuts. Pulse to just combine. Sprinkle mixture over pear filling in dishes.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes or until pears are tender and crumble is light golden and crisp. Sprinkle over cheese. Return to oven for a further 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve crumble with crème fraîche and pear wafers.
- We made a little extra crumble and cooked it separately to use as plate decoration.
- Try adding a little ground ginger to the crumble mixture for a bit of bite.
- This dish would also work well with apples.