Ep12 Tracey and Neil - Hazelnut Pavlova with Poached Tamarillo and Frangelico Cream
© Pepe De Hoyos
- 5 Egg whites
- 280g Caster sugar
- 1 tsp. Corn flour
- 1 tsp. White vinegar
- 200g Roasted chopped hazelnuts
- 10 Tamarillos
- 2 Cups Red wine
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Brown sugar
- 1 Star anise
- 1 Vanilla bean
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 5cm Orange peel
- 600ml Cream
- 1/2 Cup Icing sugar
- 30-50ml Frangelico
- Preheat the oven to 130°C fan bake, and line 2 baking sheets. With an electric whisk, whizz the egg whites until stiff, then whisk in the sugar, a dessertspoon at a time, until very thick and glossy. Mix the cornflour and vinegar in a cup and whisk into the egg whites. Add most of the nuts, reserving a couple of tablespoons to decorate, and fold them in by hand (don’t whisk at this point).
- Divide the mixture into individual pavlovas about the size of a coffe cup. Place into the oven and bake for 1 hour. Turn the oven off but leave them in there until completely cold.
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, plunge tamarillos for 3 minutes, then remove from water. Carefully peel off the skin, leaving the stems intact. In another pot Bring red wine, water and sugar to the boil in a saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add star anise, vanilla, cinnamon and orange peel leave to infuse for 10 minutes.
- Add tamarillos to the pan and gently poach for 15 minutes. Lift the fruit out and set aside. Bring the remaining liquid to the boil and simmer until syrupy. Strain to remove spices.
- Whisk the cream, sugar and Frangelico together to a soft peak.
This recipe has been supplied to TVNZ by the My Kitchen Rules New Zealand contestants. TVNZ has not tested this recipe and results may differ from those expected.