Whole Baked Flounder
Whole Baked Flounder Stuffed with Roast Vegetables and
Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
Cooking Time: 40 Minutes
1 yellow belly flounder, gutted and scaled
1/2 red capsicum, julienne
1/2 yellow or orange capsicum, julienne
1 small courgette, julienne, green outer only, discard middle.
1 field mushroom, julienne
2 cloves garlic, peeled, cut in half lengthways
1 tbsp Lupi olive oil
8 pitted black olives
2 basil leaves, thinly sliced
2 tsp lemon Juice
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 Medium Agria potatoes, grated, covered with water
20g Mainland butter
6 medium sorrel leaves, stalks and veins removed, cut into 1cm squares
black sea salt
chive flowers for garnish
60ml Lupi extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
6 red cherry tomatoes, chopped finely
2 basil leaves, shredded
1/3 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp toasted pinenuts
3 large caperberries, seeds removed, outer skin discarded
3 capers, cut 1/2 open for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 200C. Place capsicums, courgettes, mushrooms and garlic on a greased oven tray and roast for five minutes until half cooked. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. Once cooled, combine in a mixing bowl with Lupi olive oil, olives, basil, lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Drain grated potato, place into a tea towel and squeeze dry. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat and melt the Mainland butter. Add the potato to the pan to form two cakes. Sprinkle salt on top only and place lid on pan. Reduce heat and cook on low for 35 minutes until crispy.
3. Bone the fish: put fish on chopping board, eyes upward. Cut down one side of the backbone to the tail. Use a filleting knife to cut the flesh away from the bone on both sides. Use poultry scissors to cut through the bones on either side of the fish, across the tail and under the head. Cut underneath the backbone on both sides and remove the entire frame so that the fish is still whole but without bones. Careful not to cut the skin underneath.
4. Place the fish on a lined oven dish. Stuff the fish with the vegetables, place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
5. To make the dressing, gently combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and season to taste.
6. Flip the potato after 35 minutes. Add sorrel to the top of one of the cakes and join together when ready to serve. Garnish with black sea salt and open chive flowers.
7. To serve, place finished potato cake on a side plate with garnishes. Carefully lift the flounder from the roasting tray onto a serving plate and top with the dressing.