MasterClass - Chicken Pot with Wholegrain Mustard
Chicken Pot with Wholegrain Mustard and Tarragon
Recipe by Josh Emett
6 chicken legs, split into thighs and drumsticks
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
10 baby onions, peeled, trimmed
2 cloves garlic, sliced
100g smoked pancetta, skin removed, diced
2 stick celery, finely diced
250 button mushrooms, quartered
1 leek, finely diced
350ml Wither Hills Riesling
2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
1 tsp hot English mustard
1 bunch tarragon
1L Campbells Real Chicken Stock
5 Agria potatoes, peeled, finely sliced
300ml clarified butter, melted
1. To prepare the chicken, heat a heavy based casserole pan over medium high heat, season the chicken with salt and pepper and cook the chicken legs in the canola oil until golden brown. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside. In the same pan sweat the onion, garlic, pancetta, celery, mushroom and leek until soft.
2. Add the Wither Hills Riesling and reduce by half, then add the mustard. Add the chicken back to the pan then add the tarragon and the Campbells Real Chicken Stock. Cook slowly over medium heat, covered for about 35 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 180°C. To prepare the Pomme Anna, place the sliced potatoes in a bowl, season with salt and pepper and mix with the clarified butter. Layer the potatoes in a small sauce pan and bring up to temperature on the stove top then bake in the oven for around 45 minutes or until golden and tender.
4. Remove the chicken from the heat and rest for 30 minutes. Strain the liquid and reduce by half, then add the cream, a few fresh tarragon leaves and more mustard if needed. Return the sauce to the casserole and coat the chicken. Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary.
5. To serve, transfer to a serving dish.
1. Spending the extra money to buy a good quality casserole dish will pay off in the long run as it will last a lifetime.
2. Leg meat is ideal for this recipe as it retains its moisture over longer cooking times than breast meat does.
3. Use a good quality mustard for the best flavor.