MasterClass - Braised Pork Belly
Braised Pork Belly with Pickled Cabbage, Radish and Tofu
Recipe by Josh Emett
1kg pork belly, skin removed
1 leek, white part roughly chopped
1 onion, peeled, roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1 carrot, peeled, roughly chopped
3cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and cut
1 small fennel bulb, roughly chopped
60ml soy sauce
60ml Chinese rice wine vinegar
1L Campbells Real Chicken Stock
1L Campbells Real Beef Stock
300g firm tofu
60ml cider vinegar
2g Dijon mustard
115ml olive oil
50ml cider vinegar
¼ of a small green cabbage, thinly sliced, main stalks removed
1 red chilli, finely sliced
4 radishes, trimmed, cut into quarters
1 tsp sugar
Pinch of salt
2 sprigs of thyme
Watercress, to serve
1. To prepare the pork belly, mix the sugar and salt together well and use the mixture to season the pork. Leave to cure for 4 hours. Wash well in cold water and pat dry.
2. Roll and tie the pork along the grain of the meat. Heat the canola oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat and color the pork belly all over. Remove the pork from the pan and set aside. Add the leek, onion, garlic, carrot, ginger and fennel and sweat until tender. Return the pork to the pan.
3. Add the soy sauce, mirin, Chinese rice wine and enough Campbells Real Stocks to cover the pork. Bring to the simmer, cover and cook for 2 to 2.5 hours until tender. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature. 4. Pass the braising liquid and reserve. Remove the twine and roll the pork tight in plastic wrap. Leave to cool in the fridge overnight.
5. To make the tofu cream, wrap the tofu in paper towels and place on a plate with a weight on top. Place in the refrigerator overnight until all the liquid is out. Strain off and discard the liquid and puree the tofu until smooth, set aside.
6. Blend together sugar, cider vinegar, salt, mustard and shallots, then pass and reserve the liquid. Add the tofu to the liquid and blend till combined. Remove from blender and fold in olive oil until combined.
7. To make the pickled cabbage, lightly salt the cabbage and leave for 1 hour until slightly soft. Wash off all the salt under cold water and drain well.
8. To make the pickling liquid, place the vinegar, water and sugar in a saucepan and place over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside to cool. Add the chilli to the cabbage then pour the pickling liquid over the cabbage. Leave for 1 hour and then serve.
9. To prepare the radishes, place in a small saucepan with the sugar, salt, butter and thyme. Add enough water until its just under the radish, dont cover them. Bring to the boil and remove from the heat and leave the radish in the liquid till cool.
10. To serve, heat a frying pan over medium heat, slice the pork belly into portions and heat the pork belly until warmed through. Place the pork belly in the centre of the plate, make 4 dots of the tofu around the outside then place the radish in between. Place a small amount of the pickled cabbage on top of the pork then garnish with watercress.
1. Red cabbage may be substituted for green cabbage.
2. The same pickling method can be used for other baby vegetables such as turnips and baby carrots.
3. The pickling liquid from the cabbage can be saved and used again.